Friday, August 28, 2009

I like comic books.

I know my mother wishes I would grow up, maybe someday I will.

One of the things I enjoy is a good comic book. "Comics are for little kids," is what most people say. Of course 3/4 of the people saying that have never read a comic book. Nowadays, monthly comics are often collected and sold in trade paperback(and more and more hardcover) form only a few months after they are initially released. This is a good way to read comics that you are interested in or want to catch up on. It is cheaper and there are no ads.

Recently I got my sister Susan to read a hardcover version of the first 13 issues of Invincible. She came back a couple days later wanting more, so I gave her the second volume. within a week she had come back to get the third and fourth volumes. When I informed her that volume 5 has not been released(in hardcover and I wanted to wait to get it so my books match) she was a little annoyed. When I informed her that she had read 4+ years worth of the comic in a week, she said she didnt care she just wanted to know what happened next.

For those of you that buy TV shows on DVD, that is the equivalent of watching the first 4 seasons of 24 (or whatever show your really into) and then being told season five isnt out yet.

When you meet somebody that also reads comics it usually turns into a geekfest pretty quick(unless you run into them at the comic shop, any pretense of a normal is left outside the front door.) Who is better, Superman or Batman? Spider-man or Wolverine? DC or Marvel? Well, If you want to geek out with me my favorite characters are, Wally West and Daredevil. Although I have really enjoyed Captain America and Green Lantern lately.

I know most people will never give them a chance but comics are a part of my life, sorry mom.

No comments: